Wednesday, 13 June 2012

You Shall Go To The Ball...

There is nothing more stressful for a girl than when you get that last minute wedding invite through the door. As much as you are delighted to be sharing the happy day with the bride and groom, it surely cannot only be me that has that dreaded thought of "I have literally NOTHING to wear"...

I had this exact dilemma last year when my best friend decided to get married -  with 3 weeks notice!!

I'm not an emotional person but I'll admit that I was close to tears in the changing rooms when I thought I would have to wear a dress from my wardrobe that I had ALREADY worn!! Eventually I did get a dress after I had begged and pleaded to the Patron Saint of Dresses to offer up some divine intervention and low and behold - I found a dress. Phew, the Drama Queen shall go to the ball...

As a result of that near disaster I always keep and eye out for suitable wedding attire in case any friends or family members should find themselves in a similar situation.

The high street does not disappoint and you can grab yourself a gorgeous dress for a really reasonable price. I really like these two pastel shades of dresses from Oasis. The pale mint green dress is classy and chic and the coral dress has a gorgeous detail on the back. They both come in at a really affordable £60 each.

Oasis at ASOS £60 (www.asos.com)
Oasis at ASOS £60 (www.asos.com) 

This gorgeous rich purple dress from Coast is also really great value at £85 and is extremely versatile. It is definitely the kind of dress that you can get lots of wear from.

Coast £85 (www.houseoffraser.co.uk)
Biba and Ted Baker are the high street stores to go for if you are looking for a glamorous maxi dress this summer. The Biba dress is so 70's with the halter neck detail and I love the jewel shade of green. The floral Ted Baker dress has straps which you can remove if you prefer it to be strapless.

Biba at House of Fraser £189 (www.houseoffraser.co.uk)
Ted Baker at ASOS £139 (www.asos.com)
This beautiful pencil dress by Hybrid with tie detail at the waist is extremely flattering and will show off curves to perfection. Again, a dress that you can get lots of wear from...

Hybrid at ASOS £85 (www.asos.com)
If you want to spend a little more cash then the summer sales are the perfect excuse to splash out without the same level of guilt. Sportmax at Matches have a few really stunning dresses which are timeless and perfect for a wedding or sumer soiree. The pink pencil dress with the deeper pink piping detail and belt has a vintage look to it and definitely has a 'Mad Men' feel to it - don't be afraid to bring out your inner Betty Draper or Joan Harris. The spotty dress has a gorgeous ruched effect and the clever colour blocks will make your waist look teeny tiny!

Sportmax at Matches £238 (www.matchesfashion.com)
Sportmax at Matches £231 (www.matchesfashion.com)
This stunning vibrant dress by Roksanda Ilinicic is another bargain in the Matches sale which has just started - it currently has 40% off!! The nude sleeves and below-the-knee length are great for those who don't wish to flash too much flesh but aren't ready to stop making a fashion statement just yet...

Roksanda Ilinicic at Matches £628 (www.matchesfashion.com)
Jonathan Saunders dresses are always worth investing in and will look great for years to come. I love the cute collar detail on the pink and red printed dress. The duck egg blue dress with the subtle star print and fine waist belt is so romantic and girlie - perfect for a wedding!

Jonathan Saunders at Matches £619 (www.matchesfashion.com)
Jonathan Saunders at Matches £696 (www.matchesfashion.com)
For something a bit younger, I adore this Goat dress which is currently on sale at My-Wardrobe.com. This watermelon pink 60's style swing dress is simple but will look amazing with some skyscraper heels and a cute clutch!

Goat at my-wardrobe.com £276 (www.my-wardrobe.com)
This aztec print dress by Sass and Bide at ASOS is currently £350 down from £500 and I love the asymmetric neckline and hemline. It is may not be an obvious choice for a dress for a wedding but I think it could work really well and is something a bit different from the usual satin dresses you see at weddings so often, after all it is every girls worst nightmare to turn up at a wedding in the same dress as someone else.

Sass and Bide at ASOS £350 (www.asos.com)
There are literally thousands and thousands of dresses both in store and online so if you're looking for your perfect dress - don't panic! It's out there somewhere.... Don't be afraid to try new styles and don't forget that every dress looks better with some killer heels! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment