Wednesday, 16 January 2013

Not-So-Subtle Neck Candy

Anyone who knows me, knows that I am a HUGE fan of statement necklaces!

I love the fact that they can add texture, interest and occasionally a little bit of sparkle to a simple outfit or even a pop of much needed colour to an otherwise pretty boring look. The bigger and more of a statement the necklace makes, the better!

As seen on Oscar de la Renta, Gucci and Badgley Mischka
Source - accessoriesmagazine.com

The good news is that you don't need to spend a fortune to get a really great necklace and take your outfit from drab to fab!

I have quite a few necklaces now and none of them have been at all expensive!

I always make sure I keep plenty of necklaces in my styling kit for photoshoots as sometimes an outfit just needs a little extra.... well, oomph!

On the high street, New Look and H&M are currently my favourite places to pick up an amazing piece.

This pale pink and gold (well, gold plated) drop necklace from H&M (£12.99) looks great with pastel shades, blush tones, pinks and white. It added a little bit of interest to a plain white v-neck t-shirt and picked up the coral pink shade in my jeans in this outfit last summer.

Photograph - Victoria Martin
Pale pink necklace - £12.99 from H&M
Photograph - Victoria Martin
I have a pink and navy zebra print dress from Topshop which I got a while ago but have never worn. I really like the style of the dress but I'm not used to wearing such high crew necks. I added the same H&M necklace and instantly felt much more comfortable with the neckline and overall look. I think it just helps break up the overall print of the dress.

Printed dress by Topshop, necklace by H&M and cream tuxedo jacket by Zara
Photograph - Victoria Martin
This great little bright blue cluster necklace was another bargain at just £3 in the New Look sale at Christmas. It is the perfect colour to go with my purple H&M shirt.

New Look necklace with purple H&M shirt
Photograph - Victoria Martin
I have so many little black dresses so in order to make my outfits always look different, I make sure I mix up my jewellery, shoes, clutch bag and jacket.

For New Year, I added a turquoise H&M necklace (£7.99) to black Issa dress.

Turquoise necklace H&M, black dress Issa
Photograph - Victoria Martin
I also added it to a plain navy vest top and some floral print and blue suede platforms on my trip to Barcelona last October.

H&M necklace with vest top and floral trousers, both from Topshop
Photograph - Victoria Martin
I wore this deeper shade of turquoise necklace on a Christmas night out with a black strapless Zara dress and also with a caramel scoop neck t-shirt.

Necklace Pull & Bear £9.99
Photograph - Victoria Martin

I picked up the gorgeous this gorgeous deep red chandelier necklace in New Look for a photoshoot for Business Women Scotland Magazine last year. I added it to a deep red coat and the same colour trousers (both by Mary Portas at House of Fraser) for a 70's Lauren Hutton inspired look. It looked so great on that it made the cover!



I loved it so much (and since it was just £12.99) that I decided to buy it! Being a stylist can be such an expensive occupation sometimes.... The necklace went perfectly with a white vest top and my maroon fedora hat and also looks great layered over simple, high neck tops.

Deep red necklace £12.99 New Look
Photograph - Victoria Martin

I don't think you can ever have too many necklaces and I know I definitely get lots of wear from them so I'm looking to add another few to my collection.

Blair Eadie of the Atlantic Pacific blog is my absolute favourite style blogger and her accessories rule is clearly the more, the merrier, especially when it comes to jewellery.


Atlantic Pacific (www.atlantic-pacific.blogspot.co.uk)

Atlantic Pacific (www.atlantic-pacific.blogspot.co.uk)

She recently collaborated with US jewellery website Bauble Bar and the results were amazing... and also super-affordable!

This gorgeous green seafoam chandelier necklace is just $38.

Seafoam Chandelier necklace - Atlantic Pacific for Bauble Bar $38 (www.baublebar.com)
I also love this polka strand necklace ($34).

Pink Polka Strand necklace $34 Atlantic Pacific for Bauble Bar (www.baublebar.com)
And also this beautiful Peri Hex Strand necklace for just $42...

Peri Hex Strand necklace $42 Atlantic Pacific for Bauble Bar (www.baublebar.com)

 (This one will go perfectly with one of my favourite nail polishes...)

Bikini so Teeny by Essie
Photograph - Victoria Martin
And, finally, this Marie Fruitbowl bib ($42) is pretty spectacular too...

Atlantic Pacific (www.atlantic-pacific.blogspot.co.uk)

Such gorgeous detail! Marie Fruitbowl bib $42 Atlantic Pacific for Bauble Bar (www.baublebar.com)

For something similar, I love this really bright, super hot 'Fire Reef' collar necklace and it will look gorgeous with so many spring/summer looks! It is just £24.99 and is available from the fab new jewellery website MyMillyMoo. (www.mymillymoo.com)

Fire Reef collar necklace £24.99 available at MyMillyMoo (www.mymillymoo.com)

I think this necklace will look amazing with some hot pink, turquoise or bright blue to fully embrace the colour clash trend. I love how Blair Eadie (again, yes I'm slight obsessed with her) pulls off the orange and blue clashed together so effortlessly...

Blair Eadie of Atlantic Pacific getting it right as always! (www.atlantic-pacific.blogspot.com)

This J. Crew necklace at Net-a-Porter is a bit more expensive but it is equally gorgeous and, given the size of the necklace, it will certainly make a huge statement!

Resin necklace £120 by J. Crew at Net-a-Porter (www.net-a-porter.com)

Definitely a statement piece
Australian jewellery webiste Diva (www.diva.net.au) also have a great range of really affordable necklaces too. They ship to the UK for just $9.99 which is really great value for money.

Here are some of my favourites which have somehow found their way into my basket...

Green enamel 3 section necklace $16.99 (www.diva.net.au)

Coral enamel necklace $19.99 (www.diva.net.au)

Purple enamel 3 section necklace $16.99 (www.diva.net.au)

Ombre bubble necklace $19.99 (www.diva.net.au)

Coral Facet bubble necklace $16.99 (www.diva.net.au)


For a really cheap and locally available alternative, which is especially great if you are just starting your collection and don't want to invest too much, head to New Look.

Blue jewel necklace £6.99 at New Look (www.newlook.co.uk)

Red jewel necklace £6.99 at New Look (www.newlook.co.uk)

A similar necklace I got in New Look with a Zara khaki t-shirt
Photograph - Victoria Martin
I hope I've inspired you to try a chunky, statement necklace. Don't save them for special occasions as I think they are at their most effective when paired with a really simple outfit. With prices starting at just a few pounds, there is really no excuse to try some statement jewels with your everyday outfit!

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment