Tuesday, 29 January 2013

Printed Perfection

Three weeks today I will be heading off to MUCH sunnier climes to the land of the sand, Dubai!

To say that I'm excited is an understatement. I've been a couple of times before as my brother lives out there so I know exactly what to expect.

Of course, I'm already mentally planning out my outfit choices for the 2 weeks and I plan to take full advantage of the 30kg weight allowance with Emirates and squeeze as many clothes, shoes, bags and accessories as I possibly can into my case.

Of course, given the much more modest dress code in the Middle East, wardrobe planning takes a little more consideration than a normal 2 week beach holiday in the Mediterranean.

One item of clothing that I definitely plan on taking lots of are printed trousers.

Catwalk Ready - Vivienne Tam, Peter Som and Richard Chai
What I love about them is that there are lots of lightweight options, absolutely necessary in the searing heat of the UAE, and the bright prints and colours still look really summery even although they are trousers.

I bought some amazing floral print silk-mix trousers from Topshop last year and paired them with some turquoise suede platforms from Zara for a trip to Barcelona last year.

Trousers - Topshop Platform Heels - Zara
Photograph - Victoria Martin

There are currently another couple of pairs of Topshop trousers in my online basket which I think I may be forced to purchase for Dubai!

I absolutely love the bright blue colour and the subtle baroque print, not to mention the flattering slim cigarette cut of these trousers.

Baroque Cigarette Trousers £38 Topshop (www.topshop.com)

I also really love these bright floral jacquard trousers, also by Topshop. I think they will look great with a slouchy coral v-neck t-shirt and these grey, suede platform heels I picked up in Zara a few weeks ago.


Bright Floral Jacquard Trousers £50  (www.topshop.com)

Vamp Platform Heels now just £16.99 Zara (www.zara.com)

I love the relaxed style of these grey/patterned trousers from H&M and think it looks great styled with the pastel mint shade.

Grey/Patterned Trousers £24.99 H&M (www.hm.com)


The one thing that always puts my styling clients off when I try and talk them into some printed trousers is that they wouldn't know what to wear them with. I tell them to look no further than A-list celebrities to find their preferred printed trouser style.

Of course, if you have the confidence of Jessica Alba, then bright printed trousers look great with other bold colours in contrasting shades.

Jessica Alba looks amazing in floral trousers with orange sweater, green coat and heels

Olivia Palermo likes to really show off her fabulous fashion credentials by not only adding a contrasting bright top but by also adding a clashing leopard print heel. Definitely not 'the beginners guide to wearing prints' but Olivia always manages to look effortless...


Zoe Salanda adds a really beautiful turquoise/mint spun-silk tuxedo jacket and a basic white t-shirt to her beautiful printed trousers...


Whilst Rihanna throws on an oversized chambray shirt to her printed Alexander Wang jeans and adds a grey clutch and a bright red lip to complete her look.


Miranda Kerr is also a big fan of the printed trouser look but tends to stick to wearing her statement trousers with really basic pieces such as slouchy t-shirts. This is definitely the way to go if you want to break yourself in gently to the trend.



Yip - Jessica Alba really does love a printed trouser, but this time keeps the rest of her look quite minimal and understated by just adding navy to her bright cropped trousers.


Either of these pairs of blue cropped printed trousers from ASOS would be a great way to start your collection without investing a lot of money. They would both look great with either white or navy or even some denim!

ASOS trousers in Soft Floral £35 (www.asos.com)

ASOS Trousers in Summer Jacquard £40 (www.asos.com)

If you feel like investing in a really good quality pair of printed trousers, then these amazing Matthew Williamson ones definitely fit the bill.

Matthew Williamson Floral Print Silk Trousers £550 available at Net-a-Porter (www.net-a-porter.com)

These 3.1 Phillip Lim silk trousers are a gorgeous relaxed style and the colours in the print are beautiful, - perfect for picking your perfect shade to pair with the trousers, either in your top, jacket or accessories.

3.1. Phillip Lim Scrapbook Silk Trousers £380 available at My-Wardrobe (www.my-wardrobe.com)

So, whether you have £25 to spend of £550 - there are some gorgeous printed trousers around for you to road-test the trend and channel your inner Olivia Palermo, Miranda Kerr, Jessica Alba or Rihanna...

xx


No comments:

Post a Comment