Tuesday, 12 February 2013

Wardrobe Essential - The Little Orange Jacket


As a personal stylist, I work with a lot of clients who have wardobes crammed full of clothes and still find themselves with 'nothing to wear'. But it's not what you wear,  but how you wear it.

The advice I pass on to them is to turn statement items that they already have in their wardrobe and make them everyday wardrobe essentials. It is really easy to do once you have the confidence to forget about individual items in your wardrobe being either 'daytime' or 'evening' wear and start having more fun with fashion!

Once they get their head around the idea, my clients all of a sudden find that they have so many more things to wear during the day AND at night and they haven't even bought a single additional item of clothing!

Last week, I was in Debenhams in Silverburn Shopping Centre and spotted this amazing Chanel-esque orange tweed jacket in the Principles by Ben di Lisi range. It immediately caught my eye and it is amazing value at just £48.

Principles by Ben di Lisi at Debenhams £48 (www.debenhams.com)


It is exactly the kind of item that I see in a client's wardrobe all the time that they buy on impulse because they love the jacket but get it home to discover that they haven't a clue what to wear it with and think that they don't have anything that will go with it.

So, I've decided to show you how I would wear this gorgeous little jacket to any occasion!

For an informal summer soiree that you want to look like you've made an effort but don't want to go too over-the-top, I would pair the jacket with this gorgeous bright floral Alice & Olivia lightweight dress and some gorgeous gladiator heels by River Island. The dress is simple enough that it won't look too much with the jacket on top.

Alice & Olivia £285 Oxygen Boutique (www.oxygenboutique.com)

Brown snake panel sandals £55 River Island (www.riverisland.co.uk)

For a smart but casual daytime or even evening look, I would throw the jacket over some skinny jeans and add cobalt blue long sleeve t-shirt, statement clutch and heels!

Strass super slim jeans £49.99 Mango (www.mango.com)

Equipement 'Liam' long sleeve top £223 at Matches (www.matchesfashion.com)

Pandora Clutch by Charlotte Olympia €820 at Moda Operandi (www.modaoperandi.com)

Alice & Oliva snake print leather pumps £199 Saks Fifth Avenue (www.saksfifthavenue.com)
For a really casual day look, I'd add some white jeans, a simple, neutral v-neck t-shirt and my favourite Luca KG by Kurt Geiger leopard and glitter sneakers. This is the perfect outfit if you have a lot of running around to do, i.e. chasing after kids all day, but still want to look polished, put-together and stylish.

Coated super slim jeans £34.99 Mango (www.mango.com)

American Vintage t-shirt £22 Matches (www.matchesfashion.com)

Lucca sneakers £85 KG by Kurt Geiger (www.kurtgeiger.co.uk)


ABC Luxor necklace £55 (down from £295!) at Oxygen Boutique (www.oxygenboutique.com)

Alternatively, a simple white fitted dress will instantly be brought to life by the bright orange jacket and some zesty satin orange heels. 

Willow shift dress by Bastyan £175 (www.bastyan.co.uk)

Pleated satin shoes £125 by Karen Millen (www.karenmillen.co.uk)

So don't be afraid to take your 'statement' pieces in your wardrobe and make them work for you regardless of the occasion or time of day! There is no excuse for not getting your money's worth from every new item of clothing you buy...

xx

2 comments:

  1. I'm so terrifically awful at wearing orange, I even resorted to a personal stylist once to try and cure my natural blindness to it! I love the colour, lime green and orange are my favourite colours but I simply cannot co-ordinate orange into my outfits. I found myself at the mercy of some image consultant in westfields in the early 2000s trying to fix it! Maybe it's my ginger hair...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I'm sure there is the perfect shade out there for you. Have you tried a peachy coral shade? It tends to be really flattering on all skin types, it is definitely much kinder to the skin than orange... Or else maybe just try some bright orange heels or a fab clutch bag or big cuff instead? It would be a shame to miss out if it's your favourite colour... xx

      Delete